Thursday, December 25, 2014

Tiger nuts part two: How to make Tiger nut milk

Merry Christmas everyone! Here is my preferred method of making Tiger nut milk as a Christmas present to everyone!
After making Tiger nuts milk with this method, I began to think about how to make a big batch and reduce the stress every time I wanted the family to have some. Here are my discoveries:


  • I found out that the longer it soaked the better the milk quality.
  • I also found out that limiting the additions to just one every time, gave me variety, and also a better taste. So each time, I made the milk, I would use either cinnamon, or coconut or cardamom for flavor.
  • I used ginger every time because the family liked the twang it added to the flavour.
  • I also discovered that I could add it as milk to the baby's food. Awesome!

Did you know that the Tiger nut milk drink is what the Hausas call Kunnu Ayya? And every maker has her own secret recipe for making it awesome and different. I'm sharing mine for those mums at home that hardly go out, like me.

Tiger nuts = Ofio in Yoruba = Aya in Hausa = Aki Awusa in Igbo.

INGREDIENTS

  • Tiger nuts, three (3) cups. [I used tin cups made from Peak milk tins. You can use any measurement cup, as long as its not too large.]
  • A stick of cinnamon [optional]
  • Coconut flesh [optional]
  • 2 or 3 Cardamom pods [optional]
  • Small clove of ginger, washed and cut into smaller pieces [optional]
  • Water for soaking, and water for blending. Some measurements use up to 2.5 litres of water.
  • Cheese cloth OR cloth-sieve OR Cut up pantyhose OR nut-milk bag, for sieving.
PROCEDURE: Method 2
STEP 1: Wash the tiger nuts to remove dust, sediment and the occasional stones in it. Soak the tiger nuts and the cinnamon stick, for a long period, preferably overnight. Some people soak for three days, but overnight is enough to soften the nuts.

STEP 2: Remove all the ingredients i.e. tiger nuts, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, coconut flesh, and ginger, from water. Grind them dry with your dry mill blender. Grind into as smooth a powder as possible, using a strong blender [at least 450W], or the local mill. If you are using the local mill, make sure its not the machine they use for pepper. Ask for the one they use for grinding corn and millet.

STEP 3: Pour the semi-dry powder into a container with a tight lid, and store in the fridge. Every time you want to make the drink you will need to prepare it hours earlier.

STEP 4: Scoop some into a container, add a small quantity of hot water and let it soak for at least one hour. Sieve out the milk. Pour the chaff into a bowl and pour a small amount of hot water over it. Let it soak for up to 45 minutes and sieve again. This is done to get the most milk out of the chaff.

STEP 4: Pour the extracted milk into a bottle and refrigerate. If you want to keep for longer, please put in the freezer, and bring out hours before you need to drink it, so it can thaw naturally.

STEP 5: Shake the bottle before serving. Serve chilled, preferably with ice.

Making a batch is now easier - all you have to do is scoop some of your already prepared semi-dry Tigernut mix into a bowl!

Now all the chaff was just sitting there looking at me, everytime I made a batch. I know there is still something to gain from them, so I went to my Research Assistant, Google, again, for help. Will soon share what I found, and tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment