Friday, September 14, 2007

Name: Pan cakes

I remember when I was young, about six or seven, and we had just moved to Lagos. My Mum
would make pan cakes for us to take to school in our little covered plates, and by the time I was dressed in my little white socks (all stretched out), and school uniform, I would have missed out on the whole preparation process.
Well, Mum stopped making them when my little brother complained that his teacher ate out of
everyone's food except his and it made him unhappy. You can imagine the teacher - she actually made him feel bad because he always brought pan cakes to school!
Anyway, some days ago, I was going through some magazines and I came across the recipe for making them. You can imagine how happy I was - I have tried everything I can think of to 'help' my Mum remember how to make pancakes, cos she said she has forgotten, but nothing has worked. I even bought her suya (her favourite)several times to help her but to no avail.
Well, this recipe, culled from Life magazine, a free magazine from The Guardian, and written by ADU OLUBUNMI MORENIKE, should be it!

Ingredients:
250g of Flour
50g of Sugar (add more to your taste if need be)
One satchet of milk (optional)
One Egg
Ground pepper (optional as well)
One and a half of a bottle of groundnut oil
Nutmeg (little quantity, grated)
Water
A slice of Onions (for added flavour)

Procedure:
Step 1 - Sieve the flour into a bowl. Add the measured sugar and a little quantity of grounded pepper, and the nutmeg.

Step 2 - Beat the egg and milk together. our the egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients in Step 1 and Mix together.

Step 3 - Add a little water. Keep adding in little quantities until the flowing consistency of the mixture is achieved.

Step 4 - Put the groundnut oil in the frying pan, add the onion slice to it after the oil has heated for a few minutes.

Step 5 - Scoop the mixture into the hot oil, using a ladle or stew spoon (as many as the frying pan can take in terms of the circumference)

Step 6 - Fry until golden brown

Step 7 - Remove from the burner when done.

Serving: Serve with any drink of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment